2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Whats should i do first?

I just got a 2008 wrangler X. I'm new at this and I need some advice. I havent done anything to it yet, so i was going to get a set of tires but i need to know a good size to go with cause it is also my everyday driver. I was thinking 33" , I was also going to lift it, what would be a good 4" or do i need that much. I'm wanting something that makes my jeep look good and is off road ready when i want it to be but also affordable. THX

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The JK models don't need much lift to fit 33" tires.
    There are a few 2.5" lifts out there that would work great. You could probably get 35" tires in there with a 2.5" lift, but if it's a daily driver I'd stick with 33" tires.

Things to start looking into.
    Armor - Engine, transmission/transfercase (tummy tuck), lower control arms, gas tank, and differential.
    Recovery gear - tow straps, tow points on the jeep, hi lift
    Tools - start purchasing all the common and not so common tools you'll need to pull the jeep apart. Good torx bit set, etc...

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason.huffman5 View Post
    I'm wanting something that makes my jeep look good and is off road ready when i want it to be but also affordable. THX
    This is one of the funniest things I have ever read

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

While that acronym is a common joke within the Jeep community, most of us have discovered that it's only funny because it's true.

On subject, what kind of wheelin do you plan on doing with your ride?

Oh, and congrats on getting a Jeep, it's the best hobby in the world.
    1980 CJ7 350sbc, T-18, Dana 20

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1982 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in your shoes just a few years ago. I didn't want to spend too much but wanted it to look and function like a Jeep. Everyone has an opinion but here's what I would recommend.

Lift: Teraflex 2.5 budget boost. $337 with shock adapters. Small lift cost is low and you can sell it later if you want to upgrade. Some of the components will still be used if you don't go too big. You can fit 35's under this lift on a JK but 33's will work great. PM me if you can't find this price with free shipping.

Wheels and tires: You might want bigger wheels than I like and this is a matter of taste or style. I'm upper 40's so I have no style. I used 15" wheels because I like the small wheel/big tire function offroad and it costs less for the same size tire. You do have to be careful here though because some wheels will not work at 15" on the front calipers of the JK. I have used and have ordered Pro Comp 8179 15x8 3.75BS 5x5 bolt pattern Cragar soft 8s should also work but I haven't used them. Some of the guys I've wheeled with have though without issues. You will want 4" or less of BS backspacing to avoid issues with rubbing. If you want to use stock wheels and 33's you will need spacers. When you add up the cost of spacers over new low cost wheels you are not saving much and will want new wheels in about 6 months.

Tires are another area where everyone has a favorite. I like BFG MT KM2's but Goodyear MT/R are good along with Toyo's. Highway and offroad manners are a concern for DD.

Get a recovery strap and make sure you have some recovery points. You can find folks that have taken of the stock hooks on the front for cheap. On the back you nee a receiver hitch and a tow shackle. I have a receiver and JK 4 pin wiring harness for $100.00 plus shipping if your interested PM me.

Keep asking questions and go with a local 4wd club on a trail. (when you get back stateside I guess)One trip and you will learn more than you can imagine.
    Here is a pic of my last JK with 15" wheels and 33" tires and the Teraflex BB.

Pic of receiver and shackle for rear recovery.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 07-17-2009 at 18:52.
    09 JK Sunburst Orange Unlimited named- Copperhead
    All stock ...Yeah Right
    mods and every little thing : http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ad.php?t=11355

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing to look into with your lift...
    I know the JK X models had the D44 w/ locker option and the electronic sway bar disconnect option.. don't know if you got these on your jeep though.
    If not, look into a set of sway bar disconnects. They'll allow for more front end articulation when off road.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My .02 - you don't need a lift for 33s, they will fit just fine. If you are going to do a lift - whatever it is - you will then be able to stuff 35s. You can get a cheap Pro-Comp 4" for around $600.

I would roll it stock and not settle for anything less than what you want in the long run. In other words, don't throw 33s under cause they will fit when you really want a lift and a set of 35s (or bigger). If 33s is what you want then go for it, it will look great!

I have an 08'X, I put a 4" and 35s and wish I would have waited two months and put a 5" and 37s..... no big deal, now the plan is to wear out the 35s and upgrade (will prob want 40s by then ).

Take your time, gonna have the jeep for a very long time. Do it right the first time.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Another thing to look into with your lift...
    I know the JK X models had the D44 w/ locker option and the electronic sway bar disconnect option.. don't know if you got these on your jeep though.
    If not, look into a set of sway bar disconnects. They'll allow for more front end articulation when off road.
    The X doesn't come with the elec discos... unless ordered as an option. I went with the JKS quicker discos that I got on the cheap from someone who upgraded to a set of the anti-rocks. Too easy to pull two pins.... takes less than two minutes. and your right - IMO it is as important as airing down.... you just about gotta do both if you want to maximize your rigs capabilities,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSk7SGcq44
    Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 07-17-2009 at 21:46.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
    The X doesn't come with the elec discos... unless ordered as an option. I went with the JKS quicker discos that I got on the cheap from someone who upgraded to a set of the anti-rocks. Too easy to pull two pins.... takes less than two minutes. and your right - IMO it is as important as airing down.... you just about gotta do both if you want to maximize your rigs capabilities,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSk7SGcq44

I had a friend buy an '08 X from Manassas Jeep.
    Came stock with a D44 rear, locker and electronic disconnect. Not saying it's common, but it's possible.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you said you're new to all this, I'm presuming it's 4 Wheeling in general.
    My .02, decide the type of wheeling you want to do. Mud and Water, Rocks or a combo of both. Either way buy skid plates first, tow point F/R and at least a strap WITHOUT hooks, Fire Extinguisher.
    Then wheel it STOCK for a while, learn what your Jeep is capable of, you'll be surprised, before you start dumping a bunch of coin into it. No offense but Hell you might not like it. I've seen a few folks who are all out balls to the wall, then something breaks or just "bouncing" around on the rocks to much and they feel it's not their style after all(right Patty). Same goes with the mud though it takes time to F the parts up sometimes. Not trying to scare you off, but you need to have a heads up.
    Last thing and most important find a local club with some experienced folks to walk/talk you through it all.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    I had a friend buy an '08 X from Manassas Jeep.
    Came stock with a D44 rear, locker and electronic disconnect. Not saying it's common, but it's possible.

That's a cool option for an X, I am glad that I didn't find one - I would have bought it! I am eventually going with an OX mechanical locker and the anti-rocks... should be sweet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast