1999 to Present

Closest Installation

Grafenwoehr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default control arms

I am building my first jeep! I have built alot of 4wheel drives (I am currently on #27) but as far as jeeps this is the first and last ! I scored a set of superlift 4" coil springs, front and rear track bars and the transfercase drop brackets. I do not have control arms though. I am seriously itching to take off the 3" body lift that came on the jeep when I bought it. soo I guess the question I have is ... Do I need the control arms for a 4" lift on a jeep?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes and no. there are lots of lifts out there that run stock arms. it is recommended to have adjustables so that you can adjust you pinion angles and make the arms stronger than the stock stamped.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes...
    4" of lift is going to throw pinion angles all out of whack. You'll want adjustable control arms to adjust your pinion angles and to push your axles back out to the stock location.
    Other things to look into.... even with adjustable control arms, it may not be enough. At a minimum you'll probably have to lower your transfer case 1". Look into transfer case drops. The next option is a slip yoke eliminator and cv driveshaft. This will eliminate the need of the transfercase drop.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since you mentioned 4" coild springs I am assuming we are talking about a TJ or a JK? I would definately get rid of the 3" body lift, but there are some upper control arm set ups that use a 1" body lift, so check before you just buy a set of arms. I ran 4" suspension lift with adjustable lowers and the factory uppers and found that uppers were too restrictive and went with a new set up that included adjustable upper and lower control arms. Rubicon Express and Teraflex are two companies that come to mined that offer their control arms seperately and both offer rebuildable ends. I am guesssing that Superlift would do the same, but you may have to go direct rather than trying to buy through a retailer that only sells kits.
    Without a SYE and CV rear drive shaft, you will notice some drivleing vibration with a 4" lift even if you lower the transfer case. You will also run the risk of binding the drive shaft off road at full flex.