1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shrock Full Rear Bump & Tire Carrier

After much anticipation the new Shrockworks full width rear bumper / tire carrier arrived. Very well packaged. Installation was not too bad but an extra set of hands is nice to have.

This will not be much of a "how to" due to not having a decent camera available, all I had was my phone so just before / after pics.

The instructions had quite a few holes, most of it was there but there could have been a few more details in order to avoid some aggravation.

The bumper install was very simple - getting the old one off was as easy as removing the small handful of mounting bolts and tossing that POS to the curb. You will also need to remove the stock mounting bracket. The instructions for the bumper install were very easy to follow. You have to install the lights before you mount the bumper or you will have to take it off in order to get to them. There is also a square bushing that sits under the latch that is best installed before mounting the bumper for the same reason as the lights.

Mounting the tire swing was very simple. I gave everything some red threadlock and managed to get a bunch on myself as usual....

The part that was a PITA was the jerry can mounts and rubi rack. There were no instructions for the rack but easy enough to figure out with a little thinking. One point of advice would be to get all the bolts started but don't tighten anything to make sure that you can align everything and in case you need to move something. If you are going to only use the jerry can mounts then you can use any of the holes on the diagonal beams, making a tight fit against the tire. If you are going to use the rubi rack then the jerry can mounts must go in the lower most holes. Added some threadlock to all the bolts on the can mounts and rubi rack as well.

Another thing to note is that this thing is very heavy. The bumper/swing is about 200#, add in the wheel and tire (17" 35s), the can mounts and rubi rack are another 50# then add in the jerry cans and fuel, Hi-Lift... then whatever you put in the rubi rack. Not sure how much lift I will lose due to droop... we shall see.

Shrock gets an A+ for design and quality, worth the wait. The instructions get a C....

Before:

After:

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really stout looking! pics of abuse when it happens.

as for droop, hit quadratec up for spacers.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    really stout looking! pics of abuse when it happens.
    Will do.... and it will get abused. The stocker was hanging on by a thread. The powdercoat is standard semi gloss black making it easy to touch up once it gets banged around.... nice forethought on Shrocks part

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    as for droop, hit quadratec up for spacers.
    Done deal.... expected it.... just gotta figure out what else it is going to take to get 37s on...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great man i am jealous
    Stickers

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice looking top too bad customer service is non existent. I need a new set of staps for mine and had to have them made local. Oh yea and that is one heavy duty bumper.
    97 Jeep Tj. sitting one 3 inches of lift 32/11.5 R15.
    4 Clanger with a 5 speed.

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah babay!
    That looks great. You got something on the front too?
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsjeep View Post
    Yeah babay!
    That looks great. You got something on the front too?
    Running the Expedition One full front...

Quote Originally Posted by BIGTRUX View Post
    Nice looking top too bad customer service is non existent. I need a new set of staps for mine and had to have them made local. Oh yea and that is one heavy duty bumper.
    I live close enough to drop in and b!tch in person... If I have any trouble I won't hesitate.
    Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 07-23-2009 at 18:58.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great front and rear!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man that is one mean looking bumper!

might suggest flipping the HLJ lift foot up so it does not obstruct the look angle of your left rear break light.......it will make it easier to see your break lights and not give a cop a reason to pull you over. [maybe it does not block it at all...it just looks that way in the pic]

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fifthpro View Post
    man that is one mean looking bumper!

might suggest flipping the HLJ lift foot up so it does not obstruct the look angle of your left rear break light.......it will make it easier to see your break lights and not give a cop a reason to pull you over. [maybe it does not block it at all...it just looks that way in the pic]
    You are correct.. that was one thing that kicked my butt a little. With the can mounts there is only a little room for the HiLift, I can't reverse it with the handle on because there is not enough clearance... I will fool with it some more tomorrow... might end up taking the base off to keep someone from stealing it anyway... throw it back on when I hit the trail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast