2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Riley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ford 8.8

I was reading this swap a guy did and he said a rear axle from a '97 and up explorer will fit under a wrangler. He also said that ford puts them in mustangs and other trucks as well. My questions are is there certain year axles that i could swap out of an explorer? and is it only from an explorer, or could it be a mustang as well?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have been told. Mustang axels are too small. Explorer axles are the one's you want. Some explorer axles come with limited slip already in them, so it's a better buy. Lots of write-ups about 8.8 axle swaps. Currently doing one in my YJ.
    4" RC lift, 1" BL, 1" MML, 1 1/4" Shackel lift and 4 hard working squirrels pushing 33's..
    Dana 30 up-front w/Aussie locker
    Ford 8.8 in the rear w/an Elocker
    4.56 gears all around..

Team YJ
    http://www.mvcustoms.com/ Rob is the MAN!!
    www.virginiakrawlers.com
    www.4x4him.org

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus it will give you disc brakes in the rear. Much stronger than the Dana 35 (but is still a C Clip axle). Handles 35's with ease.......

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 axle will work as well as expeditions
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put one in from a 97 explorer. The explorer is lik 60" wms to wms. It will be 5/8 narrower per side than a D35. But that isn't an issue. Like said above, most come with LSD, you can get 4.10s from the factory, with disc brakes. Nice upgrade for the rearend. A REALLY good site fro installation issue is stu-offroad.com He has measurements for the brackets, part numbers for ebrake cables, etc. Lots of good info on it. Also try Jeepsunlimited.com

I would go with a 97+. 96 and older have drum brakes. Stay away from the ranger axles, as they have drums as well. The mustang is narrower, and the full size axles are just that. Full size. The sport trac is independant all the way around starting like 2000 or so.

Hope that helps.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1995

Closest Installation

Fort Wayne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right now there are 3 guys from my other board that have done the 8.8 swap just in the last 4 months or so. they are all happy with the swap end results also. seems to be a fairly easy swap if you are the least bit mechanically inclined. and i think they all took theirs from 97's in bone yards. they kinda seem to be laying around everywhere around here.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hardest part really is setting up the bracketry for the TJ. But if you get a MORE kit, or something similar, it really isn't all that difficult.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want a 95+ (up until they put IRS in the Explorer, IDK what year that was), as they all have disc brakes. F-150s are too wide, I believe Mustangs are too narrow.

Some 8.8s can be had with LSD.

We put one under my buddy's TJ last year. We cut off the brackets from his D35 and welded them on the 8.8. You could fork over a bunch money and buy a set of brackets as well. I have an 8.8 under my XJ, but that swap was way easier due to leaf spring suspension.

The 8.8 is arguably stronger than a D44, are more plentiful in the correct length (~60") in the junkyards, and have a lot of aftermarket support.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone mention the disc brakes?

Fuzzbal, is this a daily driver with most of its time spent on the road? If so, then go with discs. Discs are great for road driving.

If it is to be a mostly trail vehicle then there is nothing wrong with drums. A lot of people prefer drums in the rear off road.

Figure out what you need and go from there. Another option is the Ford 9" too. I have one sitting in my garage that will go under my YJ one day. The 9" has more aftermarket support too. Again, figure out what you need/want and what your budget will allow, then go from there.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
    Why does everyone mention the disc brakes?

Fuzzbal, is this a daily driver with most of its time spent on the road? If so, then go with discs. Discs are great for road driving.

If it is to be a mostly trail vehicle then there is nothing wrong with drums. A lot of people prefer drums in the rear off road.
    Disc brakes are just a perk. An 8.8 is still a considerable upgrade from a D35.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast