Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Lift Issues

I thought we did everything correctly to center the axles...man was I wrong. The rear is off a few inches (looks horrible). The front isn't as bad. In the mean time...is this going to cause any damage? My jeep is a daily driver, but I will be able to park it for a little while if I need to until I can fix the problem.

Speaking of problems...my ride home, once I hit about 40 mph and hit a bump, I got some seriously violent death wobble. There was some loud banging as a result of the DW. I had a steering issue before I lifted her that I was unable to resolve (http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ead.php?t=7879). Now, it seems amplified. It was so bad I had to pull off to the side of the road. I continued my drive home very slowly (about 30 - 35mph) with my hazards on and I felt the DW a few more times.

I noticed some scrapes on the front drivers side upper bumpstop metal cup where it looks like it was touching / banging into the spring (also closer on this side than the other probably because the axle isn't centered). We never put the rubber nubs (stock bump stops?) back on the bolts in the cup. We forgot to slide them in when installing the new springs and we were unable to force the springs wide enough to slide them through. Would those have prevented that banging?

Also, Jeff mentioned that I would need to tighten the nut on the adjustable track bars with a big pipe wrench or I would notice some instability / hear some banging. I have not yet tightened these nuts due to not having a big enough wrench.

Finally, I need to move my shifter box back about 1/4 inch (I believe) because my lower gears are banging into the box and reverse is a pain in the ass...needs to be seriously forced / popped in to gear.

P L E A S E H E L P ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again sorry for missing the build this weekend! Could you explain exactly what you have done to the susspension up to this point. I will try to help you out. DW suck balls!!! need to make sure you get everything adjusted properly and everything is tight.

As fare as the shifting problem, well with a BL and the motor lift you trans is angle down quite a bit, (keep in mind the mor the rear out put goes down the the front out put is moving up), so your contacting the tunnel. I understand you trying to get a more lift and maintain you drive line angle but I would remove the body lift at this point. The alternative is to replace your shifter. I have a short throw shifter that was in my 2004 rubi due to this same issue.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copy and pasted from the wrenching party post:

I know centering the axles can be a pita... I probably spent the better part of a day trying to get mine centered. You'll have to eye ball it while it's on the ground it looks like if you shorten the rear track bar by about 1.5" you should be pretty close (of course it's difficult to tell from a picture). The front doesn't look too bad... maybe shorten it another 2 full turns.
    Start with getting your axles centered, I wouldn't think they would cause huge death wobble, but it could possibly contribute to it.
    There's a few things that will cause the death wobble...
    Start with the basics... go back over your front suspension and steering. Make sure the track bar is tight, both on the axle side and frame side. Get the jam nuts tight.. they have pipe wrenches at the hobby shop, that's what I used to tighten down the jam nuts on the track bars. If those are loose, that could be contributing to it. While you're down there, you might also want to throw a wrench on your control arms and make sure they're tight. Pay attention to the front uppers... the bushings on the axle side have been known to go out.

If you had DW before you started the lift, and it wasn't being caused by one of the components you swapped out ( like track bars ), you also need to check your tie rod and drag link ends for play.

Once you've done all of that, get your jeep in for an alignment and balance. Your alignment is going to be off now, that would also contribute to it. If you purchased a wheel/tire package that came pre-balanced.. don't trust it. Especially if it's been sitting around for a while.

Also, I'm not sure about the shift box as I've never had that problem before. It's real easy to pull up though. Only a few bolts holding it in place. Is the shifter itself actually hitting the wall, or do you feel it's something in the trans?
    If it's just the shift stick hitting the wall, you could probably take a dremel tool and open it up a little more.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additionally I'd also check the angle of caster on the front axle, you didnt mention how much lift and whether the arms are adjustable or not. Also what was the steering issue prior to starting?

I have the measurements for the front arms for a 4.5 inch lift I can give you when I get home and should be good for anything up to 5" of lift.

Did you do a body lift or a transfer case lowering kit? If not I dont understand why you are now having shift issues?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stock control arms...about 2 1/2 inches suspension...1.25 BL...1 MML...the steering issue is linked in the above post.
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you get an alignment after the lift? did you use an adj trac bar or a relocator bracket?

the shifting issue can usually be fixed by pulling the center console and making a bit of clearance.

It sounds like you need to finish the lift process bud. get the axles centered with a strap and adjustment. get your toe set, adj arms? camber checked and then see where you stand
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU