Retired
    Served
    1977 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Hate when that happens....

Well took leave last week to go to KY and pick up the grand kids, they had a great time coming back with us and kept asking for me to "take the cover off", good times with the weather being warm. Anyways as we're driving back about 11pm I here this loud "THWACK" on the windshield but didn't see anything. Got home settled the kids in and the next day go to wash the jeep, Well wouldn't you know it right next to the base sticker on the top center section of the windshiled is a perfect circle about the size of a dime. Figured great less then 2 months old and already got a ding in the glass. No biggie I figure it's just part of the Jeep flat windshield curse as I had to replace 3 on my CJ over 20 years. Come out tonight to come to work and I notice something on the glass that didn't look right. Got out the flashlight to look at it (I work nights so it was dark) and there it was, a crack about 12" going at a diagonal from top center to bottom right. So now I hav to price a windshield and get it replaced. Man this sucks!
    '17 Rubicon Recon JKU in Gobi w/3.5' JKS lift & 37's
    '11 Mango Tango 6sp Rubicon Unlimited = Traded In
    '09 Sunburst Orange JK Unlimited X = Traded In
    '82 CJ-7 = SOLD (why why why)
    BUT I CAN'T BE OVERDRAWN...I STILL HAVE CHECKS!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bliss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Grandaughter had her Jeep before I got mine,, HA hA

I completely feel what you are going through. Two days before I made the move from Ft. Benning Ga. to Ft. Bliss Tx. I noticed a crack on the passenger side, going from the top all the way to the bottom. It is almost a staight line from seal to seal. I have never seen anything like that before, of course this is my first jeep and as you mentioned the flat windshield. I have not replaced it yet. Hit the trails a few times around El paso and Las Cruces, and it still is just the single crack. I am deployed in Iraq now, but when I get back I plan on a lift, tires, gears, lockers, and oh how about a new windshield,, ha ha.
    Take care and enjoy those grandkids.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mako63; 07-28-2009 at 17:28. Reason: Add pic
    '01 TJ Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift, SYE and CV driveshaft
    33x12.50x15 Pro Comp M/T

IF I ADVANCE, FOLLOW ME
    IF I SURRENDER, KILL ME
    IF I SHOULD DIE, AVENGE ME

http://www.olskool4x4.com

usnavymitchells

It is unfortunately the problem when you are driving something that is about as aerodynamic as a cynder block.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Won't your insurance cover it? Mine is covered under the comp. portion and no deductiable.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Won't your insurance cover it? Mine is covered under the comp. portion and no deductiable.
    X2 on insurance coverage and it doesn't count against you as far as your rates go. In PA the deductible is $100.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here in KY my insurance covered mine for an ice storm and I had no deductable either.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
    Dr Seuss

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1971 to 1974

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had mine replaced last year, had to take it back because it leaked. Got it back and next rain it leaked again Took it back again they replaced it and guess what it still leakes .
    98 XJ trail rig, 04 WJ street Jeep,
    54 Willys truck.
    http://imageevent.com/brownrc/familyjeeping
    http://www.dav.org/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

USAA covers repairs but not replacement unless you pay for the glass replacement rider, so as soon as I can after a chip I take it to one of those places that are always set up out side the PX and shopping malls and get it fixed so that a chip doesn't turn into a crack. at 90,000+ miles the windshield on the TJ is pitted and can make driving into the sun interesting, but I am reluctant to replace it because when I do I know I will get hit again.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    2003 to 2011

Closest Installation

Seymour Johnson AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

call safelite auto glass. they'll replace it in about 20 mins for a hundred bucks or your deductible
    “When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep--
    not screaming, like the passengers of his car.”

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    USAA covers repairs but not replacement unless you pay for the glass replacement rider, so as soon as I can after a chip I take it to one of those places that are always set up out side the PX and shopping malls and get it fixed so that a chip doesn't turn into a crack. at 90,000+ miles the windshield on the TJ is pitted and can make driving into the sun interesting, but I am reluctant to replace it because when I do I know I will get hit again.
    Must be a KY requirement then, because I have USAA and they replaced my windshield without a deductable, and then had to come out to fix it after it sounded like a wind tunnel from where the sealant didn't take.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
    Dr Seuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast