Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Axles are centered, but...

the death wobble is still there at 35 - 40 mph and boy is it nasty!

NTB won't align my jeep since it's lifted. Those bastards! Does anyone know of a local (to me) NTB that will align a lifted vehicle. The only reason I say NTB is because I just recently purchased the 3 year plan. Can anyone recommend a good shop for the job (again, local to me)? They referred me to Triangle Front End & Frame. Trying not to drive too far.

Also, during the spring install, I didn't pay much attention to spring position. Now, I notice the front driver side spring isn't centered and during DW it bangs into the front stock bumpstop cup. We never re-installed the stock bumpstops. Should I worry about centering the springs? Also, should I worry about re-installing the stock bumpstops? If yes, what is the easiest way to loosen up the springs? Do I need to lift the jeep up and drop the shocks? Would the track bar prevent the axle from dropping? Would I damage the track bar in doing so. I hate to drop the track bar again after all the mess, but at least it's adjusted in the right position, so if I have to...then I will. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    Last edited by ezjeep; 07-28-2009 at 21:16.
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by spring position I mean individual spring position. I put the taller springs in the recommended spots. I didn't turn them to see where they were centered before the jeep was lowered on them.
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, what brand of lift did you install? How tall of a lift is it? Did you replace the trackbars with adjustable ones or at a bare minimum install trackbar brackets?
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5" OME, front & rear adj track bars, 1.25"BL, 1" MML

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use a plumb bob and make sure that your axles are centered. then make sure that your draglink and trackbar are in the same basic plane. If they aren't they will fight eachother and give you bumpsteer/death wobble.

Also check any bolts that you touched during install. Make sure everything is tight and torqued to spec. Check all of your tie rod ends for play.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have adj. arms? so you can adj you front end angles? if so you can do the alignment yourself with a tape measure screw driver a few wrenches and a magnetic angle finder( i just prefer the magnetic) oh and a can of white spray paint

btw if you used OME springs then the taller front should be in the drivers side and the taller rear should be in the pass side
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my alignment done at Manassas Jeep.. they had no problems doing it on a lifted vehicle... no shop should really. All they adjust is your toe setting.

As for the springs... mine made a difference if it wasn't sitting where it was suppose to. My front passenger got turned around during a wheeling trip, and the spring rubbed and made an annoying sound on that upper cup piece you mentioned. If/when you get back to the hobby shop, just lift up one side of the jeep to flex out the suspension and then twist it around so it's seated properly. Won't hurt it in the time being.

And like others have said already, make sure everything is good and tight. Make sure the track bar and drag link are parallel to each other. Make sure there's no play in any of the joints (drag link, track bar, tie rod ends).
    Then an alignment and balance.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious about the length you set the front upper and lower control arms at during installation. Do you have that information? Measure from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole.
    If they arent adjustable.........Well, you should have between 6 to 8 degrees "Positive" caster, that means the front axle will be rolled towards the rear some from centerline.
    Our jeeps are pretty pickey about being in this range, I had a hell of a time with mine because I didnt agree with the kit suggestions and was more worried with pinion angle on my front shaft. Man, I thought the whole jeep was going to explode under me the wobbles were so bad. I set the arms to the length recommended and problem solved!

There are many reasons for the wobbles and its usually a combination of things as you have read prior to this post. Check everything, make sure you ask that the caster angle be looked at during alignment.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Roberts; 07-28-2009 at 23:30.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it to Cowles Ford in Woodbridge for the alignment. Don't know of an NTB that will hook you up. At Cowles, ONLY HAVE GREG RAY do the alignment!!! He in a Jeeper from way back and will make sure it is right...and he is also a very good guy as well as a member here.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCHarleyJeepGuy View Post
    Take it to Cowles Ford in Woodbridge for the alignment. Don't know of an NTB that will hook you up. At Cowles, ONLY HAVE GREG RAY do the alignment!!! He in a Jeeper from way back and will make sure it is right...and he is also a very good guy as well as a member here.
    Will he adjust caster if you have adj arms?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast