2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC to cut or not to cut

ok... my dilema. I am running a stock jeep with a 2in BB. my 30's just aren't cutting it on the trails and like everyone i need more clearance. doc was awesome enough to hook me up with some JK coils- but from what i've been told now they probally won't work, and def won't work without new shocks and maybe other serious mods. now the problem. between repairing my windshield and countless other financial pits, I just can't throw money at a lift. Assuming i can find some CHEAP 33's, that'll be the extent of my budget. I have lots of runs i want to do with MJ and 4x4corps but lack the rig to make them. so now to cutting. i know cutting will fit up to 35's on a tj- and with a bb i don't see a problem with rubbing- especially with 33's. I have decided that cutting (with help) would be much cheaper and in the end better than lifing. i can keep my COG and all that fun stuff. i've looked at different forums and a lot of people say buy some highlining kit- which defeats the purpose completely. any help with pointing me in the right direction to start chopping away would be awesome. i have no experience with cutting and very little with lifting. if you're in SoCal, and help doing it would be even better. time for the
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start with the hood. Cut down the lines on both sides. Now move your fenders up to match. A good set of hood pins to hold the hood in place.
    On the rear, just mark off a little higher up and cut to fit.
    http://www.xomba.com/diy_highline_je...t_how_to_guide

If you search on pirate4x4 you'll find some good write ups as well.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Start with the hood. Cut down the lines on both sides. Now move your fenders up to match. A good set of hood pins to hold the hood in place.
    On the rear, just mark off a little higher up and cut to fit.
    http://www.xomba.com/diy_highline_je...t_how_to_guide

If you search on pirate4x4 you'll find some good write ups as well.
    help a lot, thanks.

www.4x4corps.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's on my list of future mods. Seems like everything else... take your time in research and prep. Measure right and cut once.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it talks about extreme mechanical aptitute... uh oh

www.4x4corps.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2001

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    ok... my dilema. I am running a stock jeep with a 2in BB. my 30's just aren't cutting it on the trails and like everyone i need more clearance. doc was awesome enough to hook me up with some JK coils- but from what i've been told now they probally won't work, and def won't work without new shocks and maybe other serious mods. now the problem. between repairing my windshield and countless other financial pits, I just can't throw money at a lift. Assuming i can find some CHEAP 33's, that'll be the extent of my budget. I have lots of runs i want to do with MJ and 4x4corps but lack the rig to make them. so now to cutting. i know cutting will fit up to 35's on a tj- and with a bb i don't see a problem with rubbing- especially with 33's. I have decided that cutting (with help) would be much cheaper and in the end better than lifing. i can keep my COG and all that fun stuff. i've looked at different forums and a lot of people say buy some highlining kit- which defeats the purpose completely. any help with pointing me in the right direction to start chopping away would be awesome. i have no experience with cutting and very little with lifting. if you're in SoCal, and help doing it would be even better. time for the
    Let's do the PA 1in body lift around $80.00 on ebay. That's enough for 33's, should'nt have to cut. Will take around 1-2 hour's!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the front jk springs will fit fine in the front of a tj, the backs i believe are a larger circle, so if i would venture to say that if you could get some jk spring buckets for the rear and weld them on, that should be albe to take care of if. my experience with this is when i had my tj and bought some 5.5 springs, wanted to put them on my jk after i traded it in. i twas told that the fronts would work but not the back. if you want more info, dave at northridge is always willing to answer question and he only builds jeeps.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bguerrero View Post
    Let's do the PA 1in body lift around $80.00 on ebay. That's enough for 33's, should'nt have to cut. Will take around 1-2 hour's!

I agree. You already have a 2" BB ( I am assuming 2in coil spacers), just add a 1 or 1.25" BL. That is what I was running for a while, until I got a great deal on some 3" springs. I didn't have any rubbing issues either.

Just my .02
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, you said you have 2" BB. When I was looking at a BB for the wife's TJ, I found out that a 2" BB is really 1.75". 4wdcustoms.com has a 2.25" BB and when I combined that with '03 Rubi springs I EASILY clear 33 TSLs! The kit was that expensive and my LJ will probably be getting the same setup soon. I can easily see that setup and 34x9.5 TSLs working without any problems.

Recommended: 2.25" BB (from 4wdcustoms.com), JKS 1.25" BL and factory Rubi springs. That should be able to clear at least 34s, and 35s easily with cutting your fenders.

Personally: Stay away from the nylon reinforced plastic BLs. Go with the JKS, or any 1" polyurethane BLs.\

PM me for measurements of before and after the Rubi springs and 2.25" BB. You will be suprised at what I gained.
    Last edited by Big Green; 07-29-2009 at 01:42.

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1" body lift. I've never seen a 1.25" lift, but it's more or less the same.
    Going more than that though is odd looking, and makes the Jeep more top-heavy.
    A body lift is a cheap way to go too, even a 'premium' kit will only cost about $125 or so (MORE has a great setup).
    Eventually your stock springs are going to need to be replaced anyway.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast