1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Non Jeep Jeep Parts

I have a question, and am still trying to find answers on the web. I have a 1964 Chevy 3/4 Ton pickup sitting in Vermont, and am thinking about tearing it apart for stronger axles, etc, to throw into the Jeep. Problem is I am having trouble finding out what it has in it. Should I just forget this idea, or keep digging? It has a 4sp tranny with granny gear, and the 4wd system worked when I parked it. But it has been a long time since I have seen the truck. When I left, most of the body needed to be replaced, but mechanically, it was a rock.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that is an awesome truck to be taking parts off of. One of my favorite Chevy truck body styles.

I see a few issues with that drivetrain. The tranny would be good. It is most likely a SM420. For that old a truck I am not sure what rear axle is in it. The front is most likely a D44. But also would be a closed knuckle.

I don't know what type of Jeep you have, if it is a CJ your okay but anything newer and your front axle is a drivers side drop. So then you open a whole new can of worms to make it all fit. Also unless you narrow the stock axle they are going to be REALLY wide. Just some things to think about.
    WILDMAN
    Cle Elum, WA
    [email protected]
    http://www.4x4nut.com
    2006 Dodge Mega Cab CTD
    1997 Jeep TJ SE
    2011 Road Glide Ultra
    2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
    2008 Honda TRX700xx

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I will be selling it then.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1992 to 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 is a little old to be taking parts off of I think. I'm not sure what year they started putting the 14 bolts in but if it has one That itself is worth it. If it is a 4wd it probably has a D44 but it being so old probably also has drum brakes.

If I were to pick a Parts truck for a jeep I'd probably go with a 80s Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Both will have a 14 bolt rear axel, the 3/4 ton will have a D44 more than likely and the 1 ton should have a D60. Wider axels can be compensated for somewhat by using wheels with alot of backspacing. Military Hummer double beadlock wheels are awsome for this and as most of you probably know they are a double bead lock design. Grind/ cut the magnesium run flat part in there and you can air down to 2 lbsof pressure no problem.

The 3/4 ton will probably come with the tried and true Chevy 350 or if you are lucky a 400 small block. The one ton will probably have a big block. I say probably because the factory pretty much uses what it has untill it's out of it sometimes. Here's a good link for engines, trannies, and transfer cases: http://www.novak-adapt.com/ pirate4x4 is a good place to search for info too. It's probably got the most wheeling traffic on the net and they are alot nicer than they used to be. lol.
    Hunka Hunka Burnin' Junk!
    reno4x4.com wt4x4.com