Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default rear bumpers

ive been looking at some rear swing away bumpers because somehow my tire cracked the stock mount, so far i like the one by Body armor with the mounts for gas can and jack anyone out there know if there any good
    -05 Wrangler X 4.0L 6 speed-
    -Mods-
    |6in RC Long Arm| |35in mickey thomsons| |6in genright flares| |Smittybuilt XRC10| |CB ch-19|

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have one like it it's ok. check it out in my pics
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Everyones Fabricator MADDMUDDER's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought this one yesterdat smitty built
    It is great sofar rattles a bit
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not seen the Body Armor rear bumper for the Jeep in person but have seen their bumpers for full size pickups and they look to be very well made.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2001

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to carry on it! On the cheaper bumpers, their not going to have the gas can,high lift, or cargo carrier. Make sure when you do buy a swingaway, you can add on to it. Body Amor is a good one, Warn is a bad choice.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bguerrero View Post
    It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to carry on it! On the cheaper bumpers, their not going to have the gas can,high lift, or cargo carrier. Make sure when you do buy a swingaway, you can add on to it. Body Amor is a good one, Warn is a bad choice.
    Right idea with asking how much to spend. That's a big part of deciding which bumper to buy. Those things get real expensive real quick.

I don't agree with the part about being able to add. You may talking able to add with same company parts that just bolt on. While that is cool, you can always add on with welds and fabrication. My new rear bumper doesn't have any add-ons available. I would like to have jerry can holders attached one day and I'm gonna have to have them fabbed and welded. That's fine, I got a bumper that protects the bottom of my tub and has some of the most heavy duty recovery points on the market.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the one that I just put on my LJ. It looks to be about the same price as the Body Armor bumper. Having said that, it does not have a provision for jerry cans or CB antenna. It does have a Hi-lift mount but my hi-lift is inside the Jeep away from the weather and thieves. One of the main reasons I got this particular bumper was because it wraps under the tub and protects it. My LJ is not a rock only rig so I didn't mind loosing some ground clearance back there to protect my investment. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't quite go into the fenderwell far enough for me. If I were putting this on a TJ, I would order it for the LJ (same price) with no powdercoat and cut it to fit the shorter tub but be longer than the regular TJ.
    http://shrockworks.com/Jeep-Tire-Car...-pr-16201.html
    Oh yeah, Shrockworks will give you a 10% military discount too.

Something else you may want to consider. On my YJ I have decided not to put a rear bumper on it at all. For the spare I am going to mount a bracket inside the Jeep on each fenderwell. Then I will run a piece of steele across them and take the factory tire mount from the tailgate and mount it on top. This leaves plenty of room underneath for cargo and gear and also puts the weight on top of your axle instead of hanging off the back. Obviously you can't use your back seat with this configuration though. But, it's cheap, super simple and it will work.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Eddie's (Groundpounder Fab), he's a forum member and retired Army. You just can't do better.

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...hread.php?t=39
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My TJ sports a rear bumper, tire swing and rack. Patriot from Elias Offroad, very heavy duty (just ask the dweeb that rear-ended me), and capable of holding me up with the swing open... no rattles at all. There are several mfrs out there with variations on the basic design. Things to think about: d-ring shackle tabs, hitch receiver, latch for the tire swing, rack or jerry can add-ons. Make sure the parts you want are on there, and are not flimsy, especially the swing latch - that's the part that rattles on most of the tire swings.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2001

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
    This is the one that I just put on my LJ. It looks to be about the same price as the Body Armor bumper. Having said that, it does not have a provision for jerry cans or CB antenna. It does have a Hi-lift mount but my hi-lift is inside the Jeep away from the weather and thieves. One of the main reasons I got this particular bumper was because it wraps under the tub and protects it. My LJ is not a rock only rig so I didn't mind loosing some ground clearance back there to protect my investment. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't quite go into the fenderwell far enough for me. If I were putting this on a TJ, I would order it for the LJ (same price) with no powdercoat and cut it to fit the shorter tub but be longer than the regular TJ.
    http://shrockworks.com/Jeep-Tire-Car...-pr-16201.html
    Oh yeah, Shrockworks will give you a 10% military discount too.
    Something else you may want to consider. On my YJ I have decided not to put a rear bumper on it at all. For the spare I am going to mount a bracket inside the Jeep on each fenderwell. Then I will run a piece of steele across them and take the factory tire mount from the tailgate and mount it on top. This leaves plenty of room underneath for cargo and gear and also puts the weight on top of your axle instead of hanging off the back. Obviously you can't use your back seat with this configuration though. But, it's cheap, super simple and it will work.
    That's a nice bumper, I have the Rock Hard with the 2 gas can mounts, I use one side for a co2 tank. I do alot of Rocks so the Rock Hard works great for me, nice and a high. I have a Rokmen gas tank skid that protects the bottom rear. Had it for 4 years now with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast