2009 to Present

Closest Installation

NB Coronado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Clutch master cyl?

I have an 89 wrangler YJ 6cyl. and today the clutch would depress completly but would not shift into gear, just made grinding noises. I checked the Clutch fluid resevoir and found it nearly empty. I refilled and pumped the clutch alot, and the level kept going down. I looked under neath and found fluid leaking from the bell housing area near the tranny. Its not leaking from the bleeder valves/lines... I took it to a repiar shop and they think its the clutch master, or slave, cyl. they want like 725 to do it...

So.. is this a common issue, or should I investigate other options? anything would help

Thanks!

Marty

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check around your clutch master cylinder. If you are not getting any fluid around it or coming from the line, more than likely your master cylider is fine.

Put fluid in the master cylinder and have some push the clutch pedal while you are underneath. Try to pinpoint the source of the fluid loss.

What tranny do you have? If it is the kind with the internal hydraulic slave cylinder, IMO, it's not worth putting money into it. Those internal hydraulic throw out bearings are a known weakness and will continue to give you problems.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication