User Tag List

Thread: suspension upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default suspension upgrade

I got a problem. i have a 1993 xj and my stock leaf finally broke with the lift blocks, i plan on doing the rough country 4.5 inch lift with the full leaf packs, and doing their 1 inch shackle as well so it should bring the rear up to 5.5 inchs. I was looking at the jks coil over spacer. and i wanted to know if i put that in will it bring my front up to 5.5 inchs as well. Also will i have to do anyother modifications to the driveline/steering. i already have an sye installed.
    Last edited by hotroddenal; 04-12-2008 at 11:55.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will need a new trackbar that is adjustable. And you might want to look into a heavy duty steering like the Currie setup. Your stock steering will work but with bigger tires you get more stress on the componets. Which JKS spacer are you talking about? Most companies do not want you using spacers with thier springs but you can. The other option woudl be to look at the ACOS that JKS sells. I had them on the front of my TJ and they work good.
    WILDMAN
    Cle Elum, WA
    [email protected]
    http://www.4x4nut.com
    2006 Dodge Mega Cab CTD
    1997 Jeep TJ SE
    2011 Road Glide Ultra
    2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
    2008 Honda TRX700xx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    The other option woudl be to look at the ACOS that JKS sells.
    those are the spacers i am looking at. I am looking at running 33's so i probably might need to upgrade my brakes as well. i do tow a lot, and haul alot so what would be a good way to beef up the rear end as well.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddenal View Post
    those are the spacers i am looking at. I am looking at running 33's so i probably might need to upgrade my brakes as well. i do tow a lot, and haul alot so what would be a good way to beef up the rear end as well.
    If you tow a lot then you want to look at getting the Vanco brake upgrade for the front brakes. Your rear brakes only do about 25% of the stopping. The only real upgrade I know of for your rear is to do a disc brake swap. What rear axle do you have? D35/D44/8 1/4?
    WILDMAN
    Cle Elum, WA
    [email protected]
    http://www.4x4nut.com
    2006 Dodge Mega Cab CTD
    1997 Jeep TJ SE
    2011 Road Glide Ultra
    2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
    2008 Honda TRX700xx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the chrysler 8.25 rear end. i am lookin at the suspension wise when i tow or haul anything in the cargo area such as camping equpment etc etc. would my suspension start to sag over time from the load. is there anyway to prevent it from sagging from the load with the lift, i know there is coil over shocks and airbags you can put in the rear. but i dont know if they will work with the lift.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rear springs will be fine as long as you dont have all that weight in there all the time but even if you did it would still take a few years. However the new springs will settle out and all that weight back there could make them settle faster than the front if the weight is continually in there.
    2006 Unlimited

I will not Tiptoe through life only to arrive safely to my death, with no scars or stories to tell. I will enter Hell sideways in a Burning pile of rubble, with a smile on my face asking if I can do it again !???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there any way to like stiffen the springs or something to kinda prevent them from saggin..

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddenal View Post
    is there any way to like stiffen the springs or something to kinda prevent them from saggin..
    there are air bag assist kits out there for leaf springs.....great for towing from what i have heard

or you could do an add a leaf to stiffen the rear springs
    If it can't be fixed with 100 MPH tape, 550 cord, zip strips, and a hammer it can't be fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    there are air bag assist kits out there for leaf springs.....great for towing from what i have heard

or you could do an add a leaf to stiffen the rear springs
    but will that work with the lift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heres a good place for info on XJ's. http://www.naxja.org/forum/ At 5.5 i would think you're getting close to needing an sye and cv drive shaft and the front may ride like crap going that high with a short arm